Detailed Product Description:
A colorless, hygroscopic, nearly odorless liquid. Soluble in water,
alcohol, benzene, acetone, and chloroform. Extremely powerful
aprotic solvent. Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is an important polar
aprotic solvent that dissolves both polar and nonpolar compounds.
It is miscible in a wide range of organic solvents as well as water. It
has a distinctive property of penetrating the skin very readily, allowing
the handler to taste it. Its taste has been described as oyster- or garlic-like.
DMSO is an important polar aprotic solvent. Polar aprotic solvents are
solvents that possess ion dissolving power but lack an acidic hydrogen.
These solvents generally have high dielectric constants and high polarity.
Other examples of aprotic solvents include water, methanol, ethanol, formic
acid, hydrogen fluoride, ammonia, .dimethylformamide and
DMSO is less toxic than other members of this class such as dimethylformamide,
dimethylacetamide, NMP or HMPA. Because of its excellent solvating power,
DMSO is frequently used as a solvent for chemical reactions involving salts.
Because DMSO is only weakly acidic, it tolerates relatively strong bases.
Note that the melting point of this solvent is 18.5C which is just
below room temperature. Contents of container may turn to a solid
in cold conditions. Slowly return to liquid by allowing it to
equilibrate at room temperature. DMSO has a wide range of uses from
paint stripping and industrial cleaners to medical applications such as
anti-inflammatories. A practical problem with DMSO as a solvent is its
high boiling point, thus its solutions are not typically evaporated. Instead,
reactions conducted in DMSO are often diluted with water to precipitate
DMSO is an effective paint stripper, being safer than many of the others
such as methylene chloride, nitromethane and dichloromethane.
Grade & Purity:
This is an ACS Reagent grade solvent, minimum 99.9% purity
Combustible. MSDS recommends wearing safety glasses because
DMSO can cause chronic damage to the eyes. Glove selection is also
important when working with DMSO. Thick rubber gloves are
recommended. Nitrile gloves, which are commonly used in chemical
laboratories, have been found to dissolve rapidly with exposure to DMSO.
DMSO by itself has low toxicity but because it easily penetrates the skin,
substances dissolved in DMSO may be quickly absorbed. For instance,
a solution of sodium cyanide in DMSO can cause cyanide poisoning
through skin contact.
Dimethyl sulfoxide can produce an explosive reaction when exposed to
Recently, it was found that DMSO waste disposal into sewers caused
environmental odor problems in cities. Waste water bacteria transform
DMSO under hypoxic (anoxic) conditions into dimethyl sulfide (DMS)
that is slightly toxic and has a strong disagreeable odor, similar to rotten
Click here to download MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)
Comes packed in 500ml boston round, amber glass bottle.