"Making High Tech Materials & Chemicals Available to Everyone"

Sulphuric Acid, 96%, 500ml, Semiconductor Grade #011-1201A
Sulphuric Acid, 96%, 500ml, Semiconductor Grade
Chemical Name:
Sulphuric Acid
CAS Number:
Chemical Formula:
Sulfuric Acid

Detailed Product Description:

Sulphuric Acid (also spelled “Sulfuric”) is a colorless, dense, oily liquid with

a pungent odor.  Noncombustible.  Soluble in water.  Very reactive.  Mixing

with water generates exothermic reaction that cause significant temperature

rise in solution. Corrosive to most metals.  Most commonly used for electrolytes

and metal cleaning.



Sulfuric acid reacts with most metals via a single displacement reaction to produce

hydrogen gas and the metal sulfate.  Dilute H2SO4 attacks iron, aluminum, zinc,

manganese, magnesium and nickel, but reactions with tin and copper require the

acid to be hot and concentrated.  Lead and tungsten, however, are resistant to

sulfuric acid.  The reaction with iron is typical for most of these metals, but the

reaction with tin is unusual in that it produces sulfur dioxide rather than hydrogen.


As an acid, sulfuric acid reacts with most bases to give the corresponding sulfate

(e.g., copper(II) sulfate).  



This is from Air Products and is semiconductor grade, high purity and

controlled for low particulate levels.



The corrosive properties of sulfuric acid are accentuated by its highly exothermic

reaction with water.  Therefore, skin burns from sulfuric acid are potentially more

serious than those of comparable strong acids (e.g. hydrochloric or nitric acid), as

there is additional tissue damage due to dehydration and particularly due to the

heat liberated by the reaction with moisture in the tissue.  The danger is obviously

greater with more concentrated preparations of sulfuric acid, but even the normal

laboratory "dilute" grade (approx. 1 M, 10%) will char paper by dehydration.   


Download the Material Safety Data Sheet for this material and understand

the dangers and precautions listed before using this substance.


Strong irritant to eyes and skin.  Toxic by inhalation and ingestion. 


Use caution in mixing with water due to significant exothermic reaction

that can cause boiling and/or explosive spattering.  Always add acid to

water and not the reverse.


MSDS:  Click here to download copy of Material Safety Data Sheet


Click here to download copy of exothermic temperature rise data.



Comes packed in 500ml HDPE Nalgene lab-quality bottle.  Also available in 250ml size.




The Company and its licensors. All rights reserved. All trademarks and brands are property of their respective owners.
Terms of Use · Privacy Policy
Website by BizAtomic